OLI Program Process
- Communities, organizations and friendship centres (COFC) apply through a written or video application process.
- If approved, OLI staff begin weekly conference calls with each community partner to plan for program implementation.
- OLI launches program and youth begin dancing; youth learn about program requirements (academic, attendance, choreography, behaviour) and about the goal to travel to Toronto to perform with youth from across Canada; OLI staff conduct an orientation for all volunteers involved in the program.
- Each community has a designated dance instructor who travels bi-weekly/monthly to work with the youth 2 hours for 5 days per week over 6-8 months.
- Over the course of the 6-8 month program implementation, program managers run weekly scheduled conference calls with volunteers. During monthly visits by the program manager, youth are assessed on academic progress, attendance, dance performance, and behavior.
- If youth have met all requirements, they travel to Toronto for 2 weeks where they engage in daily rehearsals to prepare for the annual performances in downtown Toronto. Youth also partake in exciting camp activities and other offsite excursions (i.e. Canada’s Wonderland, Blue Jays Game, etc.).
- OLI youth perform at matinee and evening performances in downtown Toronto where they are the stars of the show. They have their hair and make-up done by professionals, are in full costume, and have over 3000 audience members cheering them on!